"If the Republicans have the guts too."
By Nicholas Contompasis
by Human Events - Thank you
Rep. Darrell Issa (R.-Calif.), the new chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, has signaled he will conduct numerous oversight investigations of the Obama Administration. Here are the Top 10 areas ripe for investigation for Issa and other congressional Republicans:
(1) ObamaCare: Any measure that restructures one-sixth of the U.S. economy bears scrutiny particularly when passage of the bill required legislative bribes such as the Louisiana Purchase and Cornhusker Kickback. To paraphrase Nancy Pelosi, now that ObamaCare has passed, let’s see exactly what is in it — and how it got there.
(2) Stimulus: The American people deserve to know what they got for the $787 billion stimulus package that Obama signed in February 2009, including how much money was spent frivolously to publicize the legislation. And where exactly are all those jobs that the administration claims were “created or saved?”
(3) Freddie and Fannie: Previous attempts by congressional Democrats to get to the bottom of the 2008 financial meltdown conveniently overlooked the role of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. How much of the housing crisis was due to financial donations going to Democratic officials, who overlooked financial transgressions at the agencies so long as mortgages flowed to unworthy credit risks?
(4) Wikileaks: Someone in the administration needs to explain how the lowly serviceman who served up secret documents to Wikileaks could have access to such a large amount of classified material. And were any actions taken to shut down Julian Assange in the months after the initial disclosures and before the embarrassing leak of State Department cables?
(5) Climate science: Considering the Obama Administration used concerns over global warming to advance its cap-and-trade energy tax and, via the EPA, regulate carbon dioxide emissions, a hearing on how climate science is impacting public policy is in order.
(6) ACORN: How much federal money was sent to ACORN and what was it used for? That this vote-stealing, partisan group of thugs received tens of millions of taxpayer dollars is an outrage.
(7) Oil spill response: So many questions over the Obama Administration’s response to the Gulf oil spill last April: Why was the response tardy, and did the administration slow local efforts through unnecessary red-tape? Was science politicized with the administration’s rosy estimates over how much oil was left? Were there legitimate concerns or did politics come into play with the decision to impose an offshore oil drilling moratorium?
(8) Justice Department: There are concerns that politics is running amok in the halls of the Justice Department. From undermining national security by trying enemy terror combatants in criminal courts to unequal enforcement of civil rights laws, Attorney General Eric Holder’s shop should be scrutinized. A good place to start is the department’s handling of the New Black Panthers’ voter intimidation case that was dropped.
(9) Czars: While other Presidents have named advisers without congressional approval, Obama has taken the appointment of policy czars to a new level. With appointments going to people like former Green Jobs czar and Marxist Van Jones, Congress needs to know who has been given authority beyond the scope of the Senate’s confirmation process.
(10) Obama’s presidential eligibility: This one should be easy to settle once and for all. Even Hawaii’s Democratic Gov. Neil Abercrombie says President Obama’s birth records should be released. Let’s see what the White House does if a congressional subpoena is issued. For a President who promised transparency, there are an awful lot of his personal documents still under wraps.