Thursday, June 28, 2012

Not Your Typical Response to the ObamaCare Decision – Follow This


By Nicholas Contompasis

Today’s decision rendered by the U.S. Supreme Court on President Obama’s Affordability Care Act, better known as ObamaCare, reminded me of a sweltering afternoon in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, Florida circa 1986. We, my attorney and I, had just emerged from the judge’s chamber in the Broward County Court House where I was given his illustrious final decision on my second divorce. I say illustrious because it took him over six months to get around to it.  
I glanced over at my Jewish family law attorney and watched beads of sweat start to form on his forehead. As for me, my head was spinning so fast the hot clammy summer air didn’t have time to settle.
I kept asking myself, what just happened up there? Have I lost my mind or is family court just another name for quicksand, kangaroo court, hell or all three?
I always thought of myself as a reasonable person with a logical mind. I thought I could pretty much figure out if I was going to get screwed by picking up on the usual signs. But this guy broadsided me so hard I lost all touch with reality.
What astounded me was how the judge could award my ex-wife items that we no longer possessed. But what made it worse was why would he award these items if she never asked for them in her court filings or court appearances?  What did I miss? Was she sleeping with him, which was a pretty good possibility, knowing her and the reputation of the judge?
After milling all of this around in my head I asked my attorney, who was now in a full lather, “Is this justice?”
He smirked and said “Your bill will be going out in tomorrow’s mail!”
Thus, this was my first foray into American justice and I wasn’t impressed with the noble process.
Now, getting back to today’s decision, American’s must be scratching their heads and wondering how can a relatively conservative Supreme Court judge snatch defeat from the jaws of victory? Could he be sleeping with the President? There are, of course, some out there that think it’s possible based on those Chicago rumors. But seriously, why would he redefine the argument by changing the main thrust of the Act from “mandate” to “tax” which was never argued in any of the proceedings. Could he know my ex-wife? Horror of horrors!  
What I learned back in 1986 is something I recommend for all of America, do anything to stay out of court, even the Supreme Court. Because no matter how right you may think you are, there’s always some judge that’s’ screwing your ex-wife or for that matter, even your President! 

No comments:

VISITORS